It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:44 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wolfgang Beltracchi - the art forger thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:40 am 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 492 time
This was a big scandal a couple of months ago, it probably hasn't reached the US.

He didn't copy, but invented whole series of Max Ernst paintings dedicated to people who never even existed. For decades!!

I've had a long conversation with my father about this. I get that people are very upset because they've bought fake paintings, but this case should also serve as a mirror to the art "community" that it's mostly about names, not about the paintings themselves. If Max Ernst's paintings are worth their money because of their quality, then works of perfect forgers like Beltracchi are worth the same amount of money. Naturally, that's not the case, because it wasn't the great and late Ernst who actually painted them. I get that these are the rules, but they really are silly, when you think about it. Anyway, it's a really fun case, because he forged with style and confidence.

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

Post subject: Re: Wolfgang Beltracchi - the art forger thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:48 am 
Audrey Horne

He's so impressive, irl.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:58 am 
Audrey Horne

I don't think 98% are fakes, though. Jamie Martin is selling his technology, imho.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:23 pm 
Audrey Horne

http://www.kunstsalon-posin.de/indexalt.htm

The brothers Posin are quite famous forgers in Berlin. They forge legally, because, well, they're not saying the original painters painted them, they are openly admitting they are forging paintings for smaller pockets (500 - 2500 Merkels for regular sized paintings, depending on the era and colours). They once sold this Rembrandt for 10000 Merkels.

Irl, I'd rather buy an excellent Kokoschka/van Gogh forgery from the Posins for 800 Merkels than the next iPhone. I will most likely have them paint something for me at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:54 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
The iphone is also a work of art.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:55 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
I will watch the video later

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:25 pm 
revenant

Have thanks: 74 time
I was reading a book that talked about this weird thing where we get all upset when it's not "real." The psychologist argued that it's because we feel there is some "essence" imbued in those objects, like there is something of the original artist within them. The same goes for being attached to your blankie or stuffed animal or something.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:51 pm 
Audrey Horne

While there is something to that "essence" argument simply because it has some sort aura of having been around for hundreds of years, having been painted by now legendary artists you constantly hear about in film, literature, games, etc., (which - to many people, has some sort of value, I mean: signed photographs of anyone famous increases the price of the photograph) most of the price is not really connected some sort of esoteric essence imbued by those artists (I don't believe this "there is something of the artist within the painting thing", really), but simply social status. People who collect these things pay millions of dollars in order to show them to people at dinner parties. Some of them are also quite ignorant about art, even. Undoubtetly, it's quite nice to own a painting by a genius of the 16th century, but still: It's a community that's built around blind envy and greed, that's why people will continue to forge paintings and will continue to be successful with it. It's amazing how quickly people forget about the forgeries in that market. Sometimes, even the very same detected forged painting has a comeback decades later!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:39 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
Aren't artworks by famous painters also used as a monetary investment, since they hold their value over time if well preserved?

Also, I remember you mentioning that some of the value of these pieces is due to the historical and emotional context that motivated and guided their creation. If this context is made up, I can understand people being upset and the painting losing some value.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:18 pm 
supreme adder

Have thanks: 249 time
lyra wrote:
The iphone is also a work of art.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]