It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:09 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 44 of 45 [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Worst Review You Have Ever Seen
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:33 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
He seems like an okay guy, but his hyperbolic praise of lots of stuff and lack of critical ability, can sometimes make him very annoying to listen too. I did enjoy this video he done, but the guy he's talking about, is such a retard, that he made for a very easy target

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:18 am 
revenant

Have thanks: 81 time
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/doom-ii ... 0-6264309/
Quote:
One thing you can't really adjust to here is the antiquated level design. At some point between 1994 and today, game designers seem to have realized that making players wander around mazelike levels collecting keys and hunting for doors to open isn't always enjoyable, but Doom II's levels are built on precisely this concept. Things can quickly get frustrating when you find yourself going in circles trying to figure out how to proceed or consulting the minimap to determine where you're supposed to go next... The MIDI tunes that accompany it all give you a pretty good idea of what elevator music in hell might sound like.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:58 am 
VIP Member

Astonishing.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:37 am 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
oh wow!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:21 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 492 time
I agree on the keys bit. Every time I stopped playing one of the original Doom games, it was because I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go next. It's a game about flow, to me. I generally don't mind backtracking, not knowing where to go or slow pace, but in a game like Doom, I should never get lost, ideally. It really takes me out of the experience when I have to look for a door/key for more than 20 seconds for some reason. to me, there is nothing enjoyable about Doom when I'm not rhythmically running and gunning around to the music. the key/door searching is really bad.
it's *that* much about rhythm, to me and I get flaccid incredibly fast when the keysearching starts. it's the videogame equivalent to a scratched up vinyl. I can't stand it. so yeah, considering the fact that it makes me stop playing that often, it's definitely the game's biggest fault in my book. I know it's fairly trivial and you find the door/key very quickly, usually, but 20 seconds is enough for me to ALT+F4. I lose interest in Doom very quickly.

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:06 pm 
VIP Member

I'd say it's necessary for good pacing. The shooting would wear you out in a game like Doom, without breaks from it now and again. I don't remember it taking long to find where to go in those games anyway. Survival horror games feature much more of that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:01 pm 
Audrey Horne

I don't know, I don't want the running and gunning to stop for a second. The statistics at the end of the levels are the only pauses these games should give you.

It's great in survival horror. Like I said, I like all these principials of changing pace, backtracking in order to give the environments more character, etc., but all of these things have no place in a Doom game, for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:28 pm 
revenant

There isn't going to be a single first person shooting game that doesn't have a (at least) 20 second pause between combat, Bego. Not even COD does that. It does get rid of keys, secrets and big levels though, which seems to be what you don't like about Doom!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:57 pm 
Audrey Horne

I know that, but the flow you develop in Doom is so good and captivating that every pause really hurts my enjoyment of the game. No pauses is by no means an overall virtue nor do I want to see it (on the contrary, I prefer a slower pace overall imho), but Doom, to me, is a very, very special case. It's one of the only games where I can't stand to be taken out of the actual entertaining part of the experience. CoD doesn't compare, because it never develops that type of rhythm to it. It's weird, I know, I just wanted to chime in and defend the guy who wrote that article, because I can really relate to the sentiment. For me, it's less about "bad" level design and much more about the fact that the focus of the game isn't as tight as I would want it to be, ideally, because the core of it is just *that* good.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:17 pm 
revenant

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/unchart ... 0-6416423/
Quote:
(Uncharted 4 is) a breathtaking marvel of a game... These sequences give you agency, but also enough guidance to maintain the euphoric rush of a car chase without constantly dying. I'm reminded of Half-Life 2's escape from City 17, where you sprint through apartments and over rooftops, controlling your character while the game directs you without sacrificing tension in the process... Uncharted 4 is a challenge to the medium. In its writing, in its design, in its understanding of what makes games unique, Uncharted 4 is something to aspire to. It's a shining example. And we'll be talking about it for years to come.

Page 44 of 45 [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next